Woodlawn CC

Woodlawn CC

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day to all the Fathers and Grandfathers out there.


This is a photo of my dad Merrill Karlen, with my son Creath (Creath is two months old in this photo).  Creath was a bugger to feed when he was little, as you almost had to force him to swallow every mouthful.  I was always better at feeding him and Dad had no problem either.  It was always my opinion that it was from having fed so many balky calves.  The well known "Karlen Cattle Comparison". LOL  Of course the "Old Timer" had fed more than a few baby humans as well.  


I almost always called my father "Old Timer".  Not sure when I started doing that but it was a very long time ago.  Occasionally I would call him "Fossil" instead but that was only rarely.  LOL


Dad was a great man, kind hearted and generous to all even though he tried hard to act like a gruff old hard headed West River Rancher.  He was always a bit eccentric but that's just part of what made him be the great man he was.  Taught me a lot in life, sad to say I haven't always applied what he taught me, I need to remember to try harder to live up to his example.


Miss you "Old Timer"...... God Bless You!


Merrill Karlen with his grandson Creath Karlen
October of 1991 in Omaha, Nebraska
Roy Karlen photo

Here's a very rare photo of Mom & Dad kissing.  They weren't the most demonstrative folks in the world but I do remember them kissing every now and again.  Generally right after Dad did something to exasperate poor Mother.  LOL

Rosemarie and Merrill Karlen.  May of 1982.
Roy Karlen photo






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful in your comments to each other and to myself as well.
Thank you and Bless you for reading and commenting.