Woodlawn CC

Woodlawn CC

Monday, November 4, 2013

A great blog post (another bloggers) concerning Marriage.

I stumbled upon this blog today and I really like this particular post by the young blogger.

http://sethadamsmith.com/2013/11/02/marriage-isnt-for-you/

It's a great bit of writing, though I'm not going to say that the young man has it all figured out, he does have a good start on how to have a successful marriage and one that will likely survive the years.  If he truly practices what he's written I have no doubt that he and his lovely wife will have a long and happy life together.

Perhaps the most important thing his father got across to him is love isn't enough on it's own, it's how you love one another.  Being open and sharing your thoughts and desires and then wanting nothing more than to help your mate reach their dreams and letting them help you reach yours.

I do envy the author in his having such communication with his father.  My own father never gave me any advice for marriage, though I have to confess I never asked him for any advice either.  When the time comes that my children are preparing to marry I fully intend to sit down and have many talks with them.  I do not want them to struggle down the road of marriage as I have and to have to learn how to be married by the school of mistakes, hard knocks and heartache.  

It's a bit trite but communication with your spouse is very, very important.  For whatever reason I at one time just thought my spouse knew me well enough to just 'know' exactly what I wanted out of life without me talking about it.  I never used to share my dreams for life, I just kept them to myself. Communication with my spouse was never my long suite and unfortunately I'm well aware that it still isn't. 

Here's just a teaser but do follow the link and take a look at his blog entry.


Having been married only a year and a half, I’ve recently come to the conclusion that marriage isn’t for me.
Now before you start making assumptions, keep reading.
I met my wife in high school when we were 15 years old. We were friends for ten years until…until we decided no longer wanted to be just friends. :) I strongly recommend that best friends fall in love. Good times will be had by all.
Nevertheless, falling in love with my best friend did not prevent me from having certain fears and anxieties about getting married. The nearer Kim and I approached the decision to marry, the more I was filled with a paralyzing fear. Was I ready? Was I making the right choice? Was Kim the right person to marry? Would she make me happy?
Then, one fateful night, I shared these thoughts and concerns with my dad.
Perhaps each of us have moments in our lives when it feels like time slows down or the air becomes still and everything around us seems to draw in, marking that moment as one we will never forget.

Added 11/6/13
Apparently this blog has gone viral and the couple appeared on Fox News.
http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/11/06/recently-married-blogger-seth-adam-smith-stirs-controversy-%E2%80%9Cmarriage-isn%E2%80%99t-me%E2%80%9D-message

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful in your comments to each other and to myself as well.
Thank you and Bless you for reading and commenting.