Woodlawn CC

Woodlawn CC

Monday, November 6, 2017

Just As I Am, a Sermon over the Hymn


This past Sunday, November 5th, I began a new Sermon Series covering a few of our more loved Hymns. I'll continue this series until the beginning of Advent at the very least. Unfortunately, this week due to multiple technical hiccups the video of the sermon was a disaster. First of all, there was a problem with my microphone, then an internet interruption (I was playing a song from Youtube on my phone and through my lapel microphone), and finally the camera fell out of the tripod. I guess it just wasn't meant to be recorded. So, I have attached the manuscript of the sermon below.

Please remember to... "be a blessing to someone today".

In His grace & love,
Roy

"Just As I Am" - Sermon Manuscript 11/5/17

(Recorded Music - Hymn "Just As I Am")

As I mentioned in the announcements, for the next few weeks, well at least until the beginning of Advent, we are going to be doing something a little bit different. We will for several Sundays take a look at the history and message of some of our favorite and most well-loved hymns.

Today, we'll look at the wonderful song that we just heard, known to us as “Just As I Am”. Just As I Am” is one of the few hymns for which we know not only the author’s story but also the exact circumstances within which it was written.

Charlotte Elliott, a Victorian poet and hymn writer, was born in the south London district of Clapham in 1789 and died in Brighton, England, in 1871. Her grandfather was a famous Anglican evangelical preacher and her brother was also a minister.  Charlotte's life was a story of struggle, she became an invalid in early life and by 31 she was nearly entirely bedridden, her life was a testimony to patient endurance in suffering, not only physical but also emotional and spiritual. This was the context in which she wrote in 1834 the poem that would become the hymn we know as “Just As I Am”.  The hymn is very well-known today but it first appeared in publication in 1835 in the publication “Christian Remembrance Pocket-Book”. Later by the invitation of Harriet Kiernan and the suggestion of Reverend Hugh White, she would become the editor of that same publication.  In 1836 Elliott added the final verse to the poem.  Elliot also published the “Invalid's Hymnbook” and wrote approximately 150 hymns during her life, of which no other is nearly as widely known as “Just As I Am”.  Elliott’s hymns, which are simple, devotional and full of consolation for those in sickness and sorrow, are contained in these publications: Psalms and Hymns for Public, Private, and Social Worship; The Christian Remembrance Pocket-Book; The Invalid’s Hymn Book,Hours of Sorrow Cheered and Comforted; Thoughts in Verse; Morning and Evening Hymns for a Week; and Thoughts in Verse on Sacred Subjects.

John Julian wrote in his “Dictionary of Hymnology” in 1892 that “Although sometimes depressed by her condition, she always felt renewed by the assurance of salvation, and she responded to her Savior in hymns with her “strong imagination and a well cultured and intellectual mind” 

The story about how Charlotte came to write this amazing song of finding salvation through Christ is simply inspirational. This hymn has been utilized by many ministers and worship leaders as the altar call at the close of worship services, it's simple message of sin, despair, pain, anguish, forgiveness, and salvation to all that trust in Jesus has timeless and endless appeal. 

Elliott's physical condition led to a lifetime of mental and often spiritual anguish which was heightened when she learned that her brother,  Reverend H.V. Elliott, was raising funds for St. Mary’s Hall, at Brighton, England, a college which he had founded to provide an education for the daughters of poor clergymen. Charlotte wanted so very much to have some small part in the building of the school but she was unable to due to her physical and emotional afflictions.

While she was living with her brother in Brighton, he organized a bazaar as a fundraiser for the school. The night before the fundraiser she was kept from sleeping by distressing thoughts of her perceived uselessness; and these thoughts led as can be imagined to a deep spiritual conflict, until she questioned the reality and state of her entire spiritual life, and wondered whether it was simply an illusion of misguided human emotion, an illusion ready to be shattered and scattered. The next day, the entire family except for poor Charlotte was busy preparing for the bazaar, all alone she lay on a sofa in a bedroom in her brother's home, Westfield Lodge. The fear and horrors of the previous night laid upon her and she called out to God to vanquish these fears. In these moments of conflict, she gathered up in her soul the great certainties, not of her emotions, not of her own self-worth, but of her salvation, her salvation by her Lord... Jesus Christ. By His power, by His promise, by His love, she was assured of her value, of her worth, and her salvation. Taking paper from the desk she set about writing down for her own comfort... the formula and mantra of her faith.  And thus she penned the words of this immortal and moving hymn.  

In those moments Charlotte remembered and expanded upon the words of her mentor, the Swiss evangelist and hymn writer Cesar Malan who had visited with her some 14 years earlier and who had become her lifelong spiritual mentor. One day, while visiting England, Malan met and visited with a young woman... Charlotte... in their conversation he stated, “that he hoped she was a Christian”. She bristled, and replied that she would rather not discuss that question, Malan then apologized if he had offended her.

For Charlotte, however, Malan's witness was a turning point. She could not get his suggestion out of her head. Three weeks later, she met Malan again and told him that ever since he had spoken to her, she had been trying to find Jesus her Lord and Savior. How could she come to Him, she wondered. "You have nothing of merit to bring to God. You must come just as you are," replied the minister. Rejoicing, Charlotte did just that...

And thus the poem that would become the hymn, “Just As I Am” came to be committed to paper. The poem she had written somehow was published without her knowledge or her name attached to it, later a copy of the leaflet was handed to her by her own doctor who wished to share it's message with her... not knowing that it was of her own hand and creation. Tears streamed down her face as she read the (at that time six) verses. Copies of the poem were being sold and the money given to St. Mary’s Hall. She then was aware that she had, in fact, played a considerable role in the building of the school. Even when we are entirely unaware, God can and does use us to advance His Kingdom, just as he used Charlotte.

Many stories are told of people whose lives were transformed by Charlotte's verses. The infamous Billy Graham used it as the invitation hymn in his crusades.

In spite of her illness, Charlotte lived to the age of 82. She died September 22, 1871, after her death, over one thousand letters were found among her papers, written by people telling her how her hymn had touched their lives.

Let us now quickly peruse the verses of this hymn as it was written in the form of a poem, and see what inspiration we can glean from Charlotte's timeless words. You'll find a copy of the writing in poem form inside of your bulletins.



Just As I Am – original poem by Charlotte Elliott
Verse 1:
Just as I am - without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bidst me come to Thee,
-O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am, without one plea... we are called to come to Christ today... without protest. 
His love is calling us, his blood was shed for you, for me, for all mankind.

Just as I am - and waiting not
To rid my soul of one dark blot,
To Thee, whose blood can cleanse each spot,
-O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am, and waiting not... we dare not fall under the assumption that we need to be good enough to come to a relationship with God. Maybe when I've studied more, maybe when I'm older and I don't feel so much like sinning... maybe once the kids are grown... then, maybe then... I'll work on my relationship with Christ... waiting not... if you're waiting to come to God because you're too much of a sinner right now, I've got some really... really... bad news for you... you'll always be too big of a sinner.

Romans 3:22-23
22 the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction, 23 since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God;

That 'blot' though can be 'cleansed', and it will be... but we don't wait to try and clean it ourselves.

Ephesians 1:7
“In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace.”

Just as I am - though toss'd about
With many a conflict, many a doubt,
Fightings and fears within, without,
-O Lamb of God, I come!

Charlotte Elliott was racked with doubt, with feelings of unworthiness, feelings of fear and inner conflict. We all struggle with our faith, we all struggle with our relationship with God. The word “Israel” itself means “struggle”. Jacob literally wrestled with the Angel of the Lord.
Paul too wrestled with his faith and devotion to our Lord.

Romans 7:15-19 
15 I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree that the law is good. 17 But in fact it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh. I can will what is right, but I cannot do it. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do.

We don't wait until we feel worthy, we don't wait until we feel unconflicted, we understand that despite our inner conflicts, our doubt, our pain, even our disbelief that we come to God... Just as we are.

Mark 9:23-24 
23 Jesus said to him, “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.”
24 Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!”

Just as I am - poor, wretched, blind;
Sight, riches, healing of the mind,
Yea, all I need, in Thee to find,
-O Lamb of God, I come!

In one fashion or another, we are all blind. But just as the blind Bartimaeus... literally the “son of misery” called out to Christ, we can as well. 

Mark 10:46-52 
46 Jesus and his disciples went to Jericho. And as they were leaving, they were followed by a large crowd. A blind beggar by the name of Bartimaeus son of Timaeus was sitting beside the road. 47 When he heard that it was Jesus from Nazareth, he shouted, “Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me!” 48 Many people told the man to stop, but he shouted even louder, “Son of David, have pity on me!”
49 Jesus stopped and said, “Call him over!”
They called out to the blind man and said, “Don’t be afraid! Come on! He is calling for you.” 50 The man threw off his coat as he jumped up and ran to Jesus.
51 Jesus asked, “What do you want me to do for you?”
The blind man answered, “Master, I want to see!”
52 Jesus told him, “You may go. Your eyes are healed because of your faith.”
Right away the man could see, and he went down the road with Jesus.

Just as Bartimaeus did not allow the crowd to dissuade him from crying out, from seeking feverishly Christ's blessing, we must not let anyone prevent us from coming to Christ as well... most of all let us not stop ourselves.

Just as I am - Thou wilt receive,
Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
Because Thy promise I believe,
-O Lamb of God, I come!

Thou wilt receive, we are invited to come to God, He is ready and waiting to receive us all. We are welcomed because we have been pardoned, and relieved of our sinful burden. We can step forward into a relationship with Jesus unconcerned and with ever confidence.

Hebrews 10:19-22  
19 Therefore, my friends, since we have confidence to enter the sanctuary by the blood of Jesus, 20 by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain (that is, through his flesh), 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us approach with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.

Just as I am - Thy love unknown
Has broken every barrier down;
Now to be Thine, yea, Thine alone,
-O Lamb of God, I come!

The barrier has indeed been broken, we are reconciled to our all loving and gracious God through Christ's sacrifice and life. We are His alone, we have been presented to God the Father.

Colossians 1:19-22
19 For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, 20 and through him God was pleased to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, by making peace through the blood of his cross.
21 And you who were once estranged and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, 22 he has now reconciled in his fleshly body through death, so as to present you holy and blameless and irreproachable before him—

(pianist begins playing "Just As I Am")

Just as I am - of that free love
The breadth, length, depth, and height to prove,
Here for a season, then above,
-O Lamb of God, I come!

God does so love us, each of us, all of us...

John 3:16 
16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.

We are only here in this world for a very short time, then we are called to dwell eternally with our God in His Kingdom, a Kingdom without end.

The repetition of the short line, “O Lamb of God, I come,” is a commitment to a Jesus-centered life, there is a beautiful structure throughout this hymn, “from the nakedness of ‘Just as I am’ to the climax of ‘O Lamb of God, I come!’”

Again, people aren’t “good enough” to come to Jesus, nor are they “just too bad” to come to Jesus. It is through God’s initiative, pardon, promises and unfailing love mentioned throughout the hymn and much, much more importantly all throughout scripture, that everyone can come to Jesus. Just like Charlotte Elliott, people will face “conflict,” “doubt” and “fighting and fears within and without,” but one can find rest in Jesus. Through Christ, we can escape our human limitations, our imperfect lives, our imperfect beings.

Galatians 2:20
“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.” 

Amen. 



2 comments:

  1. God bless you real good for this beautiful commentary. It was well put together by the help of the holy spirit. Thank you for sharing such divine thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and God's many blessings to you!

      Delete

Please be respectful in your comments to each other and to myself as well.
Thank you and Bless you for reading and commenting.