Woodlawn CC

Woodlawn CC

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

John 15:1-8, "I Am The True Vine" - sermon given April 29th


This past Sunday's sermon had to do with the "I am the true vine" passage found in John 15.  I combined my children's sermon with the regular sermon and used the children as part of my sermon illustration.

The takeaway from the sermon would be that apart from the 'vine' (Jesus) we are cut off from the body of Christ and left hopeless in a number of ways not the least of which is that we are not being nourished by the rest of the body.  But, as I am often want to do I stressed most strongly that we aren't just in this being 'Christian' thing for ourselves... in fact if we're just in this for ourselves I pointed out that we are living a selfish faith which in my humble opinion is not a genuine nor particularly 'Christ-like' faith.  (read the book of James if you want more explanation)  Once we've taken the 'plunge' and enrolled on this journey of serving Christ we are in this together, and our first calling is to each other.  Each of us is called upon to strengthen the vine and to help feed and support the rest of our fellow Christians.

It's a fun little sermon and it involves some cute kids, so give it a listen and see what you think...

Be a blessing to someone today!

Just a part of the vine...
Roy

John 15:1-8 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
Jesus the True Vine
15 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinegrower. 2 He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes[a] to make it bear more fruit. 3 You have already been cleansed[b] by the word that I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. 6 Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become[c] my disciples.

Footnotes:
a) John 15:2 The same Greek root refers to pruning and cleansing
b) John 15:3 The same Greek root refers to pruning and cleansing
c) John 15:8 Or be

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful in your comments to each other and to myself as well.
Thank you and Bless you for reading and commenting.