Woodlawn CC

Woodlawn CC

Thursday, May 30, 2019

May 26, 2019 - Memorial Day 2019 - John 14:23-29


This past Sunday was, of course, the Sunday prior to Memorial Day.  Memorial Day Weekend is a major camping and going to the lake sort of event for many... and in another life, I spent every Memorial Day weekend (and Labor Day as well) at Fillenwarth Beach on West Lake Okoboji enjoying the lake and relaxing.

What I don't remember, is any conversation about what Memorial Day was all about.  I think that back then I like far too many... just thought it was about remembering all the dead and not just strictly those who have died in service to our Country.

Now, there is nothing wrong with going to the lake, or camping, or family gatherings, but what we do need to ensure is that within that celebration we find time to pause and reflect upon our freedoms here in the USA.  To pause and remember to recognize and thank those who have made it possible for us to have and enjoy these freedoms.  We owe it to those who have died for our ability to speak freely and to enjoy the remainder of the rights ensured to us by the Constitution.

In so much, much, much, much, much greater fashion... we must celebrate also each and every day, the sacrifice of Christ upon the Cross.  His suffering, His discomfort, His death, and resurrection... all ensure us that we shall be able to live our lives with the peace gained from the knowledge of the salvation of our souls and the life to come with the Father.

In the sermon, I mention the chaos and horror of war and how just as those soldiers could still find some thread of peace among the devastation through their faith and belief in Christ... we too can (in our so much more modest chaos) find peace through Him that saved us, even in the most difficult days.  I also mention in the sermon that one of the reasons I collect old military rifles is that after a hard day I can pull one or two of them out, clean them and just look at them and realize that as crazy as my day was... it was extremely pale in comparison to the days the young soldier that carried that same weapon saw on the battlefields of long ago.  I can also realize that if that young man was a believer, he could have, should have, and likely would have even amongst the horrors of war clung tightly to the peace of Christ.  I find these thoughts to be humbling and no small encouragement that no matter what life brings... through Christ all is well.

Today may you find... even within the craziness of life... the undying and unending peace that Christ left to all of us.

Be a blessing to someone today.

In His Peace,
Roy

John 14:23-29 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
23 Jesus answered him, “Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. 24 Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; and the word that you hear is not mine, but is from the Father who sent me.

25 “I have said these things to you while I am still with you. 26 But the Advocate,[a] the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid. 28 You heard me say to you, ‘I am going away, and I am coming to you.’ If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, because the Father is greater than I. 29 And now I have told you this before it occurs, so that when it does occur, you may believe.

Footnotes:

a) John 14:26 Or Helper


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful in your comments to each other and to myself as well.
Thank you and Bless you for reading and commenting.