Woodlawn CC

Woodlawn CC

Thursday, June 6, 2019

John 17:20-26, Sermon given on June 2, 2019 - "Unity"


This past Sunday's sermon verses were those found in; John 17:20-26.  Here I choose to preach over the 'witness of unity'.  Sad to say we are all very much hypocrites, which as I mention in the sermon is one of if not the chief accusation that is made to us by non-believers.  Christ calls us here in John's writings to witness through our unity and our love with and for each other. Here, in this call to unity... is certainly, one of the primary ways the Church has failed...

In the past I have quoted a story from my mentor Bob Molby, the story is about the two main reasons Bob has seen churches split, number one was the music, and number two was the color of the new carpet.  I mention in the sermon about hearing of a church that even split over what to name the church's potluck dinner! Is it any wonder that we are accused of being hypocrites?

Let us redouble our efforts and strive to witness to the outside world (and our own members as well) by the display of our ability to be united in spite of holding diverse beliefs and theologies.  The ability to disagree without being disagreeable is a witness that the world sorely needs these days.

Be a blessing to someone today!!

In His Grace,
Roy


John 17:20-26 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
20 “I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us,[a] so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. 24 Father, I desire that those also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.
25 “Righteous Father, the world does not know you, but I know you; and these know that you have sent me. 26 I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.”

Footnotes:
John 17:21 Other ancient authorities read be one in us


Ephesians 4:1-6 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
Unity in the Body of Christ
4 I therefore, the prisoner in the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of the calling to which you have been called, 2 with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, 3 making every effort to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one hope of your calling, 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 one God and Father of all, who is above all and through all and in all.

Philippians 1:27 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

27 Only, live your life in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that, whether I come and see you or am absent and hear about you, I will know that you are standing firm in one spirit, striving side by side with one mind for the faith of the gospel,


Philippians 2:1-4 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
Imitating Christ’s Humility
2 If then there is any encouragement in Christ, any consolation from love, any sharing in the Spirit, any compassion and sympathy, 2 make my joy complete: be of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. 3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility regard others as better than yourselves. 4 Let each of you look not to your own interests, but to the interests of others.

Philippians 4:1 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

4 1 Therefore, my brothers and sisters,[a] whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, my beloved.

1 Corinthians 4:1 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

The Ministry of the Apostles
4 Think of us in this way, as servants of Christ and stewards of God’s mysteries.

Philippians 2:10-11 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
10 so that at the name of Jesus
    every knee should bend,
    in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue should confess
    that Jesus Christ is Lord,
    to the glory of God the Father.

Psalm 133:1 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

The Blessedness of Unity - (A Song of Ascents)
1 How very good and pleasant it is
    when kindred live together in unity!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful in your comments to each other and to myself as well.
Thank you and Bless you for reading and commenting.