Woodlawn CC

Woodlawn CC

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

December 29, 2019 - Hebrews 2:10-18 - Jesus our 'Pioneer'


Jesus was veiled in human flesh in order to come into this world and be our guide to salvation, our bridge, our 'pioneer'... "the pioneer of our salvation."

Take a listen to the sermon from this past Sunday.  It was my last sermon of the year and it will be several weeks before I return from our trip overseas so it will be the longest stretch I've gone since coming to Woodlawn without preaching.  The sermon was well praised and I encourage you to take a moment to listen... you just might gain a new appreciation for the coming of the Christ Child and His fate and place in the history of humanity.

Be a blessing to someone today!

In His Glory,
Roy


Hebrews 2:10-18 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
10 It was fitting that God,[a] for whom and through whom all things exist, in bringing many children to glory, should make the pioneer of their salvation perfect through sufferings. 11 For the one who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one Father.[b] For this reason Jesus[c] is not ashamed to call them brothers and sisters,[d] 12 saying,

“I will proclaim your name to my brothers and sisters,[e]
    in the midst of the congregation I will praise you.”

13 And again,
“I will put my trust in him.”

And again, 
“Here am I and the children whom God has given me.”

14 Since, therefore, the children share flesh and blood, he himself likewise shared the same things, so that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, 15 and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by the fear of death. 16 For it is clear that he did not come to help angels, but the descendants of Abraham. 17 Therefore he had to become like his brothers and sisters[f] in every respect, so that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make a sacrifice of atonement for the sins of the people. 18 Because he himself was tested by what he suffered, he is able to help those who are being tested.

Footnotes:
a) Hebrews 2:10 Gk he
b) Hebrews 2:11 Gk are all of one
c) Hebrews 2:11 Gk he
d) Hebrews 2:11 Gk brothers
e) Hebrews 2:12 Gk brothers
f) Hebrews 2:17 Gk brothers


Hark The Herald Angels Sing!
[Verse 1]
Hark! the herald angels sing:
"Glory to the newborn King!
Peace on earth and mercy mild
God and sinners reconciled"
Joyful, all ye nations rise
Join the triumph of the skies
With angelic hosts proclaim:
"Christ is born in Bethlehem"
Hark! the herald angels sing:
"Glory to the newborn King!"

[Verse 2]
Christ by highest Heav'n adored
Christ the everlasting Lord!
Late in time behold Him come
Offspring of a Virgin's womb
Veiled in flesh the Godhead see;
Hail the incarnate Deity
Pleased as man with man to dwell
Jesus, our Emmanuel
Hark! the herald angels sing:
"Glory to the newborn King!"

[Verse 3]
Hail the Heav'n-born Prince of Peace!
Hail the Son of Righteousness!
Light and life to all He brings
Ris'n with healing in His wings
Mild He lays His glory by
Born that man no more may die
Born to raise the sons of earth
Born to give them second birth
Hark! the herald angels sing:

"Glory to the newborn King!"

Does Jesus Care? | Frank E. Graeff
1. Does Jesus care when my heart is pained
Too deeply for mirth or song,
As the burdens press, and the cares distress,
And the way grows weary and long?

2. Does Jesus care when my way is dark
With a nameless dread and fear?
As the daylight fades into deep night shades,
Does He care enough to be near?

3. Does Jesus care when I’ve tried and failed
To resist some temptation strong;
When for my deep grief there is no relief,
Though my tears flow all the night long?

4. Does Jesus care when I’ve said “goodbye”
To the dearest on earth to me,
And my sad heart aches till it nearly breaks—
Is it aught to Him? Does He see?

Refrain:
Oh, yes, He cares, I know He cares,
His heart is touched with my grief;
When the days are weary, the long nights dreary,

I know my Savior cares.

Arxēgós (from arxḗ, "the first" and ágō, "to lead") – properly, the first in a long procession; a file-leader who pioneers the way for many others to follow. (arxēgós) does not strictly mean "author," but rather "a person who is originator or founder of a movement and continues as the leader – i.e. 'pioneer leader, founding leader' "  

Martin Luther:
The mystery of the humanity of Christ,
that He sunk Himself into our flesh,
is beyond all human understanding.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful in your comments to each other and to myself as well.
Thank you and Bless you for reading and commenting.