Woodlawn CC

Woodlawn CC

Monday, October 16, 2017

Philippians 4:1-13 "Our Strength In Christ"


This past Sunday, the sermon covered the verses found in the book of Philippians Chapter 4, verses 1 through 13. I chose to go through the verses a verse or so at a time and to expound upon them as such. In as such, the primary focus of the sermon was the final verse, verse 13 (I can do all things through him who strengthens me.) Undoubtedly, the strongest point made is that it is not our strength either of body or will that allows us to prevail, but rather the strength of Christ that we receive through our faith in Him. It is also important to remember that the impetus here is not that we always win, but rather that we can prevail whether winning or losing... Paul tells us this in the verse immediately preceding verse 13.

No matter what comes to us in this world in which we live, we can and will prevail sustained by the strength which we find in Christ our Lord and Saviour.

Be a blessing to someone today!

In His Strength,
Roy


Philippians 4:1-13 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
1 Therefore, my brothers and sisters,[a] whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, my beloved.

2 I urge Euodia and I urge Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord. 3 Yes, and I ask you also, my loyal companion,[b] help these women, for they have struggled beside me in the work of the gospel, together with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are in the book of life.

4 Rejoice[c] in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice.[d] 5 Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. 6 Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8 Finally, beloved,[e] whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about[f] these things. 9 Keep on doing the things that you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you.

10 I rejoice[g] in the Lord greatly that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned for me, but had no opportunity to show it.[h] 11 Not that I am referring to being in need; for I have learned to be content with whatever I have. 12 I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

Footnotes:

a) Philippians 4:1 Gk my brothers
b) Philippians 4:3 Or loyal Syzygus
c) Philippians 4:4 Or Farewell
d) Philippians 4:4 Or Farewell
e) Philippians 4:8 Gk brothers
f) Philippians 4:8 Gk take account of
g) Philippians 4:10 Gk I rejoiced
h) Philippians 4:10 Gk lacks to show it



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful in your comments to each other and to myself as well.
Thank you and Bless you for reading and commenting.