Woodlawn CC

Woodlawn CC

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Matthew 21:23-32, The Authority of Jesus and the Parable of the Two Sons - October 1, 2017


This past Sunday's sermon was, by my estimation, a bit rambling.  I do apologize, I was a little weary on Sunday morning as I had traveled to Omaha on Friday and then to Saint Paul, MN on Saturday. Both trips were to haul vehicles back to Lake City. On Friday, I trailered back to Lake City the old Cougar that I purchased a few weeks back. Due to the length of the car and the size of the trailer, there was no good way to balance the load and I ended up trailering her with more weight to the back of the trailer than I'd recommend. That made the trailer a bit finicky to tow and we ended up driving all the way at around 50 mph or less. Needless to say, it was a long drive home and in the dark to boot.

She's a beautiful old car with low miles and has spent all of her life thus far in and around Oakland, California. I had the car delivered to Omaha, as it was much less expensive than having it hauled all the way here. The old girl is currently down at Scott Gorden's garage having some steering issues examined (which is why I didn't just drive it here as I'd planned to do originally). Hopefully, he'll get whatever is going on worked out and I'll be able to drive her soon.


But, back to my rambling message on Sunday.  The sermon this week was over the verses found in the Gospel of Matthew 21:23-32. The passage covers the questioning of Jesus' authority by the leaders and then the beginning of His response to them. The sermon this coming week will continue on with this exchange between Jesus and the leaders.

The parable of the "Two Sons" speaks to us today, asking us when do we do better... when we immediately answer Jesus' call and then drop the ball... or when we argue with God and then relent and go and do His bidding... or is there a better way?  Well, of course, there is... we are called to respond and to carry through. Of course, we all know that there have been, and will be again, times when we emulate both brothers. Let us by preparation and prayer be ready to react properly the next time our God asks us to be His hands and feet to this wanting world.

Be a blessing to someone today!

In His Grace,
Roy

Matthew 21:23-32  New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

23 When he entered the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came to him as he was teaching, and said, “By what authority are you doing these things, and who gave you this authority?” 24 Jesus said to them, “I will also ask you one question; if you tell me the answer, then I will also tell you by what authority I do these things. 25 Did the baptism of John come from heaven, or was it of human origin?” And they argued with one another, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ he will say to us, ‘Why then did you not believe him?’ 26 But if we say, ‘Of human origin,’ we are afraid of the crowd; for all regard John as a prophet.” 27 So they answered Jesus, “We do not know.” And he said to them, “Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things.

28 “What do you think? A man had two sons; he went to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work in the vineyard today.’ 29 He answered, ‘I will not’; but later he changed his mind and went. 30 The father[a] went to the second and said the same; and he answered, ‘I go, sir’; but he did not go. 31 Which of the two did the will of his father?” They said, “The first.” Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you. 32 For John came to you in the way of righteousness and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes believed him; and even after you saw it, you did not change your minds and believe him.

Footnotes:
a) Matthew 21:30 Greek He


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful in your comments to each other and to myself as well.
Thank you and Bless you for reading and commenting.