Woodlawn CC

Woodlawn CC

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

March 14, 2019 - Thursday Night Sermon - Luke 13:31-35


Here we encounter a situation that leaves many perplexed, why does it seem that some of the Pharisees are trying to help Jesus?  We have it so ingrained in our minds that the Pharisees were enemies of Christ that we forget that at least some of them believed in Him and most likely there were Pharisees among those following after Him.  Let us not forget Nicodemus, the Pharisee, and member of the Sanhedrin who comes to Jesus in the Gospel of John (John 3:1-21).  I also mentioned (again) that it is my personal opinion that both Jesus and His brother James were Pharisees; one always clashes the most with those who are the closest to you.

There are however other possibilities as to why these men come to Jesus and warn Him.  One that I mention, and one that bears consideration, is that Herod himself sent these men.  Herod, by this theory, would be trying to flush Jesus out of his territory in order to avoid having to kill another Prophet who was popular among the people. Herod was after all reluctant to even kill John the Baptist and only did so because he was tricked into it by his wife.

Ultimately, we will never know on this side of the veil what was the motive.  What we can take away from this is that nothing we can do can stop the ultimate goals and desires of God.  We can try but God already has a plan and it is my belief that we as puny humans cannot thwart this plan... we can exclude ourselves from being the instruments of His Creation but if we reject our assignment He can and will call others to fill the void.

Put yourself at His disposal and 'be a blessing to someone today'!

In Christ,
Roy

Luke 13:31-35 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
The Lament over Jerusalem
31 At that very hour some Pharisees came and said to him, “Get away from here, for Herod wants to kill you.” 32 He said to them, “Go and tell that fox for me,[a] ‘Listen, I am casting out demons and performing cures today and tomorrow, and on the third day I finish my work. 33 Yet today, tomorrow, and the next day I must be on my way, because it is impossible for a prophet to be killed outside of Jerusalem.’ 34 Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! 35 See, your house is left to you. And I tell you, you will not see me until the time comes when[b] you say, ‘Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord.’”

Footnotes:
a) Luke 13:32 Gk lacks for me
b) Luke 13:35 Other ancient authorities lack the time comes when


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful in your comments to each other and to myself as well.
Thank you and Bless you for reading and commenting.