Woodlawn CC

Woodlawn CC

Monday, August 24, 2015

Sermon From August 23rd / Stumbling Blocks


This week's sermon was about 'Stumbling Blocks'.  The scripture which it was predicated upon was Chapter 8 of 1st Corinthians.

1 Corinthians 8 - New International Version (NIV)

Concerning Food Sacrificed to Idols
8 Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that “We all possess knowledge.” But knowledge puffs up while love builds up. 2 Those who think they know something do not yet know as they ought to know. 3 But whoever loves God is known by God.[a]

4 So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that “An idol is nothing at all in the world” and that “There is no God but one.” 5 For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many “gods” and many “lords”), 6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

7 But not everyone possesses this knowledge. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat sacrificial food they think of it as having been sacrificed to a god, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled. 8 But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do.

9 Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 10 For if someone with a weak conscience sees you, with all your knowledge, eating in an idol’s temple, won’t that person be emboldened to eat what is sacrificed to idols? 11 So this weak brother or sister, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. 12 When you sin against them in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13 Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother or sister to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause them to fall.

Far too often in life we ourselves are stumbling blocks to other Christians as well as to individuals who are unbelievers who might under the right approach become followers of Christ.  I'll confess and admit that at times I think Christians are their own worst enemy, we all too often appear to be unforgiving and entrenched on either the left or the right theologically.  One of the things that I very much like about the Disciples of Christ denomination, especially here in the Upper Midwest Region is the great diversity within the denomination.  There is room for everyone no matter where they fall left to right.  For me as one who has theological positions on both sides, this is the perfect home.  I am all for remaining in dialogue with others with whom I might disagree, all the while making no effort to cause their personal beliefs in God and His grace and love to be threatened.  It would be my constant prayer that I should never  be a 'stumbling block' to another.  One of my personal mantras is that "it's not my job to take you along with me on my spiritual journey, it's my job to help you along on your own path."

I've attached the video for the sermon, I pray that it finds all who have 'stumbled' through this blog post well and blessed.

In His Constant Love & Care,
Roy




Sermon delivered August 23, 2015 -  Woodlawn Christ Church, Lake City, Iowa.
Pastor Wm Roy Karlen






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful in your comments to each other and to myself as well.
Thank you and Bless you for reading and commenting.