Woodlawn CC

Woodlawn CC

Monday, July 9, 2018

Thursday Night Service, July 5th, 2018; 2 Corinthians 12:2-10 "Paul's Thorn"

Photo by Christian Begeman of Prairie Sanctuaries

The sermon from last Thursday's worship service covered the verses of Scripture found in 2nd Corinthians 12:2-10, and the sermon was entitled "Content With Weakness".  Paul in these verses speaks of the "thorn" that he bore, and how he asked God three times to remove it from him.  All Christians at that time were suffering persecution, insult, and discrimination... all of them bore these "thorns" in their sides.  Paul relates to them and to us to this day, that he just as they and just as we today, all bear "thorns" (to varying degrees, we here in the USA suffer much less but Christianity in this time globally is one of the most persecuted of all religions).  But, Paul states that in his weakness he is made strong... of course, the ultimate example of strength through weakness is the story of Christ and his crucifixion on the cross.

Like all of the Thursday night sermons, it is not a long video, so please take a few moments and give it a listen.  I do hope that maybe some small part may be edifying to you in your journey through this life and this faith we call Christianity.

I will point out that in the sermon, I say that Paul was martyred at the most fifteen years after the writing of this letter... as soon as I said it, I realized I should have said possibly ten years.  Fifteen would be too long and ten years is probably fairly close, though to be honest, we don't know exactly when 2nd Corinthians was written nor do we know precisely when Paul was executed.

None-the-less, please do take a listen, and remember...

To be a blessing to someone today!

In His Love,
Roy

2 Corinthians 12:2-10 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
2 I know a person in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know; God knows. 3 And I know that such a person—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know; God knows— 4 was caught up into Paradise and heard things that are not to be told, that no mortal is permitted to repeat. 5 On behalf of such a one I will boast, but on my own behalf I will not boast, except of my weaknesses. 6 But if I wish to boast, I will not be a fool, for I will be speaking the truth. But I refrain from it, so that no one may think better of me than what is seen in me or heard from me, 7 even considering the exceptional character of the revelations. Therefore, to keep[a] me from being too elated, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me, to keep me from being too elated.[b] 8 Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me, 9 but he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power[c] is made perfect in weakness.” So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10 Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong.

Footnotes:
a) 2 Corinthians 12:7 Other ancient authorities read To keep
b) 2 Corinthians 12:7 Other ancient authorities lack to keep me from being too elated

c) 2 Corinthians 12:9 Other ancient authorities read my power

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful in your comments to each other and to myself as well.
Thank you and Bless you for reading and commenting.