Woodlawn CC

Woodlawn CC

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Of course, more books...



I apologize that I haven't posted anything for a couple of weeks.  Honestly, I haven't had much interesting to say.  Our weather here went from nice, to snow, to nice again, and today it's cold and windy.  You have to love winter in Nebraska, but all things considered we've had a very easy winter this year.  I have a couple of friends in the New England area and man, oh man, I wouldn't trade winters with them for love nor money. 

This last Sunday we went to 'Half Price Books' as we often do, and I was thrilled to find three books that interested me and all three just happened to be on clearance to boot.  So last night I finished the book that I have been reading and started reading one of the three that I purchased Sunday.  The name of the new book is "The Externally Focused Church" by Rick Rusaw & Eric Swanson.  I'm only a short ways into it but so far it's been a very good resource.

Lately, I've been doing a lot of deep reading on Church History and this book is a much lighter and faster read to be honest.  I love dense books, but I'll admit even I need a break from them every so often.  The one I just finished was a great book with some very interesting observations about the relationships of the cast of characters in the early church.  I'll confess that part of why I liked it was the author confirmed some observations that I have long had myself.  It's not a book I'd recommend to others though as it's not an easy read at all.

My book haul from last Sunday afternoon.  A Brian McLaren book on clearance even.
WmRoy Karlen photo

Above you'll see a photo of the books that I found Sunday.  I was especially happy to pick up a book by Brian McLaren on clearance.  McLaren is an author that I do like to read, but with whom I constantly find myself arguing with as I'm reading them.  Generally, I contain these outbursts in my mind, but occasionally, I have been known to start arguing with him out loud as I'm reading.  When this happens Gail will give me that look, and often she'll say if you don't like him why are you reading his book.  To which I tell her, it's not that I don't like him, much of what he says I agree with.  I just can't stand the way he says what he's saying.  I've had the chance to listen to McLaren in a 'skype' broadcast at a church program, and he gives me the same feeling hearing him speak.  Much of what he says is great stuff, but the way he comes across just isn't productive in my opinion.

But, having said all of that I'm greatly looking forward to reading his book as soon as I finish reading the one I started last night.  McLaren is a bit like Dali I suppose, Dali always wanted to generate some emotional response from the observer, he didn't care if it was positive or negative.  Dali just wanted a response, in his eyes the worst thing a piece of art could do is leave the observer with a 'take it or leave it' attitude.  The middle ground was not where Dali wanted to be and perhaps McLaren has that concept in mind while he's writing.

One should always strive to read and converse with those with whom you disagree.  As I so often like to say "if I only talk to those who I agree with, I'll never learn a thing".  We all need to challenge ourselves from time to time, if for no other reason than to make us reassess why we feel or believe the way we do.


So far I have nothing to report on the journey to finding a permanent position with a church.  But, recently Gail and I have decided that we need to broaden the area of our search.  No longer am I limiting the search to areas close to Omaha, in fact today I've talked to people about opportunities on either coast.  Yesterday though, I learned of a church opening in South Dakota and I sent off my resume for that position.  I would really love to get back to my home State, so I'm hopeful about this opportunity.

With that, I pray you all will have a wonderful remainder of the week and I wish you all the very best.

In Christ,
Roy









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful in your comments to each other and to myself as well.
Thank you and Bless you for reading and commenting.