Woodlawn CC

Woodlawn CC

Sunday, May 20, 2012

In Memory of my Mentor Jesse

Tomorrow 5/21/12 will be six months since my dear friend and Mentor the Rev. Dr. Jesse Brown passed away.  I just wanted to put up a post in his honor.  As I stated the other day Jesse was an incredible man and had many remarkable accomplishments to his credit.  Undoubtedly he was the greatest influence on me in my decision to go down this path to formal ministry.  I only wish Jesse had been able to keep the promise he made to me to see me through the process and into my first pulpit.  Forever I shall remember taking Jesse out to lunch to discuss my desire to pursue this path into ministry and the support and encouragement that Jesse gave me.  Jesse always thought more of me and my abilities than I have ever or will ever think myself.


This is far from a good photo of Jesse
but it's all I have at the moment.
This photo was part of a newspaper article
where they interviewed Jesse about his friendship
and relationship with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I took one of Jesse's books with me to the ELM class this weekend a copy of "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis.  We were to bring something along that reminded us of someone who had a significant impact on our spiritual journey.  I had special bookplates made up for the books Jesse and Kathy gave to me and as I came to this particular book I saw that it had a bookplate of Jesse's in it and that it simply stated Mr. Jesse Brown not Reverend nor Doctor.  Upon reading the plate farther I saw that it listed his address as Crozer Seminary... I literally felt a chill as I realized this book had been with Jesse at Crozer where he roomed across the hall from Dr. King.  To think that this book had at the very least been in the same room with Dr. King and was now in my possession was incredibly humbling.  What a life Jesse had and what amazing people had my good friend known and befriended.

In my memorial to Jesse at his service I said the following.  "It was my considered honor to literally hold my dear friend Jesse's hand as he walked through the very gates of Heaven.  When the day finally comes that it is my turn to walk through those same gates, I suspect that I'll see just inside my old friend Jesse.  With that glint in his eyes, that wry smile on his lips, his head cocked for effect, and his hand outstretched, he'll say to me "what took you so danged long...."  There are many, many folks I look forward to seeing again someday in whatever form Heaven maybe, but there are scant few that I look forward to visiting with again more than Jesse.  The wonderful thing is the next time we visit we'll know all the answers to the questions we so loved to debate.

God Bless You Jesse my beloved friend. 

I would ask that you might all pray for Jesse's widow Kathy Brown.  I'm certain tomorrow will be a very difficult day.  I will try to call her at some point in the day, but I know she would appreciate the support of your prayers.

Be the Blessing,
Roy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful in your comments to each other and to myself as well.
Thank you and Bless you for reading and commenting.